Monday, December 29, 2008

Irish Discworld Convention 2009

Hi there. Well the New Year is nearly upon us and hopefully ye all will have a good one. There is a lot to look forward to in the next twelve months but one of the things I am looking forward to most of all is the upcoming Irish Discworld Convention which will be on next November in the Fall's Hotel in Ennistymon.

I have been a Terry Pratchett fan for almost ten years now and this is something I think will be big next year. The first I heard of the convention was when two ladies kept calling into my place of work telling me of how they were Mr. Pratchett's No. 1 and No. 2 Irish fan's (of which there is a massive debate I would say every evening in their household). Their names are Mary-Ellen and Nicola. They also told me they were in the Colour of Magic tv movie, attending the Discworld convention in Birmingham every year and had acquired a lot of Mr. Pratchett's memrobilia. The long and the short of it is they are nuts for the man in the hat with the incredible series of Discworld books. I do not even come close to their dedication but I do seriously love his stuff and he is one of the very few authors I will buy in hardback (about eight months before the paperback comes out).

These two ladies have set up Ireland's first Discworld Convention that will be on next November in Ennistymon, in the Fall's Hotel. For those of you who don't know Ennistymon is in County Clare not very far from Ennis and I am doing what every person in the world is doing right now pointing you to Wikipedia for info on the town: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ennistymon or you might want to check out the official town site: http://www.ennistymon.net/

Now that you know all about Ennistymon check out the website they have set up regarding this I am sure that it will be updated soon: http://www.idwcon.org/ Email them as I am sure they would like to know what you think about all this. Also give the Fall's Hotel a tinkle as they mightn't know what exactly is happening yet but they would have information as to when it is on and what rooms are available. They also have a forum you can check out here: http://community.livejournal.com/idwcon_2009 and they have updates on guests there as well as other info.

Now there will be guests and I have been informed that the man himself (health permitting) will be there too. So it's something that we can not afford to miss as this is something that never happens in Ireland really not to mention the fact that the convention is probably one of the few that has ever happened outside of Dublin. For those of you abroad Shannon airport is about 40 minutes (less maybe) drive away so there is no excuse. Tell your mates. Inform your librarian. Bring your Luggage! Send the info by clacks! It doesn't matter Irish fans of Discworld is getting it's first Discworld Convention bloody brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment